Bulgaria, officially known as the Republic of Bulgaria, is a country located in South-Eastern Europe. It is bordered by Romania to the North, Serbia and Macedonia to the West, Greece and Turkey to the South, and the Black Sea to the East. Its capital is Sofia.
Bulgaria is a unitary parliamentary republic with a high degree of political, administrative, and economic centralisation. It is a member of the European Union, UN, NATO, the Council of Europe and is a founding state of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE).
The country has been classified as a “Free” country, according to the 2016 Freedom in the World Index of Freedom House, and the Bulgarian civil society manages to be successful in its provided services (mostly social and educational services) and its advocacy initiatives. Moreover, as reported by USAID in their 2015 CSOs Sustainability Index, its strong role in decision-making processes continues to facilitate multiple and new interactions with the Bulgarian Government.
The following CSOs from Bulgaria participated at the Black Sea NGO Forum:
- ADRA – Bulgaria
- Alliance for Regional Civic Initiatives
- Balkan Institute for Labour and Social Policy
- Black Sea NGO Network (BSNN) – Regional Center
- BlueLink Information Network
- Bulgarian Association for the Promotion of Citizens Initiative
- Bulgarian Center for Not-For-Profit Law (BCNL)
- Bulgarian Gender Research Foundation (BGRF)
- Bulgarian Institute for Legal Initiatives Foundation
- Bulgarian Platform for International Development
- CEGA Foundation
- Economic Policy Institute
- Institute for Regional and International Studies
- National Network for Children
- National Youth Council of Bulgaria
- Partners Bulgaria Foundation
- Workshop for Civic Initiatives Foundation
- YMCA, Gabrovo